Sprout is hiring: Full-Time Communications Associate Position Announced
Sprout seeks a communications professional to help amplify the voice of the organization, its funded projects, and network affiliates in the community
In addition to grantmaking programs and civic engagement activities, The Sprout Fund raises awareness of the people, projects, and ideas catalyzing change in the greater Pittsburgh region through the collection, production, curation, and publication of content that shines a light on the network of people and projects served by the organization,
Sprout provides a comprehensive suite of communications support services to funded projects, as well as affiliate and partner organizations, including diverse communications strategies, multimedia documentation, digital and traditional promotion, and frequent media outreach. Sprout seeks a Communications Associate to help amplify the voice of the organization, its funded projects, and network affiliates in the community.
The Communications Associate serves an integral, supporting role for the Program Officer for Communications in the production and management of Sprout’s communications, documentation, and promotional activities. The position reports to the Program Officer for Communications.
More generally, the Communications Associate works collegially with all staff and board members, participating creatively and cooperatively in advancing the overall mission of the organization. The position requires an eagerness to learn and a strong desire to work with diverse communities to leverage Sprout resources to create change in the Pittsburgh region. The at-will position is full-time and exempt from overtime.
- College-level degree, related professional field preferred
- Excellent computer skills; familiarity and experience with a Microsoft Windows/Office work environment; working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite applications including Photoshop , Illustrator, & InDesign
- Flexible working hours, including the ability to occasionally work on weekends and weeknights at Sprout programs, projects, events, and activities as necessary
- Ability to work at a computer for 6+ hours per work day; ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Transportation to/from office, meetings, and activities using personal vehicle
- Strong organizational and small project management skills including proficiency in database management or other experience in tracking information using electronic systems
- Demonstrated experience using digital content management systems (The Sprout Fund uses WordPress as its primary CMS, as well as a variety of common web-based media hosting services)
- Prior experience managing organizational social media accounts and engaging with online community communities
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; capacity to develop compelling story ideas within thematic and programmatic guidelines; keen attention to grammatical detail, proofreading, copyediting etc.
- Good facilitation and constituent service skills, including respect for diverse viewpoints and willingness to work with a broad client-base in both formal, professional and informal, and community settings
- Professional and positive attitude; strong work ethic; ability to work both independently and with a team
- Previous involvement in the community and interest in grassroots organizations
- Capacity to maintain a high level of productivity in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort working in free-standing office building with stairs in a diverse, emerging urban arts district
- No aversions to or fears of the presence of friendly dogs occasionally visiting the office environment
Salary & Benefits
The Sprout Fund offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume (no more than 3 pages) using the contact information below. Applications via web form at http://www.sproutfund.org/jobs/ are strongly encouraged.
The cover letter must include your salary requirements and also address directly the following 2 points:
- What skills and other strengths make you interested in and distinctly qualified for this position?
- Tell a story about a time when you executed a complex project on a tight timeframe while balancing your other ongoing responsibilities.
The Sprout Fund seeks to fill the position in early 2015. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until 12:00pm, Friday, December 19th. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted beginning in January 2015.
Applicants should not contact The Sprout Fund prior to notification of receipt of application or hiring decision announcement to find out about the status of their applications.
The Sprout Fund is Pittsburgh’s leading agency supporting innovative ideas, catalyzing community change, and making our region a better place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Founded in 2001, Sprout provides critical financial support for projects and programs in the early stages of development—when just a small amount of investment has the potential to yield big results in the community. Sprout projects create new initiatives, events, and organizations that help citizens take action on a pressing issue or enhance the cultural vitality of the Pittsburgh region.
Directed by a board of young, creative, and civically engaged people, led by its co-founders and a dedicated staff, and with strong working relationships to many community organizations and regional stakeholders, Sprout has worked successfully across political and geographic boundaries to make community-decided investments totaling more than $4 million in early-stage projects, organizations, innovators, and activities.
For more information on The Sprout Fund and its programs visit www.sproutfund.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Sprout Fund supports the diversity of persons and ideas within the organization, among applicants and funded projects, and throughout communities and other audiences that we serve. Sprout provides equal employment, internship, and volunteer opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, or economic and social status.